It feels bold to offer a definitive list of resources on motherhood knowing how vast and deep the bench is, but to take a slightly different spin on what might be a traditional slate, this list focuses on the work of the mother in her flesh and the formative rhythms and tasks this particular brand of caregiving requires. It is less focused on the role of a mother – mother as title, mother as identity – and instead focuses on the work of mothering. I hope you enjoy and find something new.
- Real Love for Real Life: The Art and Work of Caring by Andi Ashworth
- Eve’s Revenge: Women and a Spirituality of the Body by Lilian Calles Barger
- The Quotidian Mysteries: Laundry, Liturgy and “Women’s Work” by Kathleen Norris
- Hints on Child Training by H. Clay Trumbull
- Prayers for the Domestic Church by Edward Hays
- Hannah Coulter by Wendell Berry
- Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset (translation by Tiina Nunally)